Berger Paints Nigeria Plc, which commenced operation in Nigeria on the 9th January 1959 with registration number RC.1837 has grown to be a leader in the Coating and Allied Industry in Nigeria – a legacy inherited from Lewis Berger, the German Colour Chemist who founded the Berger Paints’ dynasty in London, in 1760.
The company has a reputation for being the first in setting standards in the paint industry in Nigeria, evidenced by its scorecard as presented. It has pioneered a wide range of speciality products that are much sought after in this dynamic and ever-changing market. Berger Paints Nigeria PLC is also the first company to unveil an ultramodern fully automated factory with a daily capacity of 10,000,000 litres of paint production.
Operating in 5 business segments Decorative/Architectural finishes, Industrial coatings, Marine & Protection coatings, Automotive/Vehicle refinishes, Wood Finishing and Preservers, with a manufacturing plant and main distribution centre in Lagos, over 25 depots/business partners’ outlets, Colour World centres and a countrywide distribution network of dealers in strategic locations spread throughout the country, the most notable contribution to our success has been the Company’s on-going commitment to the development and manufacture of paints and allied coatings which are technologically correct, environmentally friendly and formulated to withstand harsh tropical conditions.
In 2012, Berger Paints Nigeria Plc. entered into a partnership arrangement with the biggest heavy-duty coating manufacturing company in South Korea, KCC Corporation to jointly serve the Nigerian paint and coating market. This partnership affords our customers the quality and durability that marine and protective market have found synonymous with the KCC marine and heavy-duty brands.
We are also the preferred company of choice when it comes to major corporate and government supply and application projects.
Incorporated as British Paints (West Africa), started importation of paints from NewCastle. Distribution done through outlets of PZ, Brossette and VYB. Acquired 6.5 acres of landed property and commisioned the first paint factory in March 1962.
Poineer status earned & attracted interest from investors.
Commenced production of top quality decorative paint under the international name ROBIALLAC.
Acquired by Berger, Johnson & Nicholson in 1969 through an offshore arrangement. Consequently, all subsidiaries worldwide had to change their names to reflect the new ownership. In Nigeria British Paints (West Africa) became Berger Paints Nigeria Limited and Lewis Berger (Overseas Holdings) Limited, United Kingdom became the foreign shareholders. Factories in Port Harcourt & Lagos merged under the new business name Berger Paints Nigeria Limited.
Following the Nigeria Enterprise Promotion Decree of 1972, the owners of Berger Paints Nigeria Limited divested through an offer for sale of 60% of their shares on the Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE) and we became the first paint manufacturing company to be quoted on the NSE on 14th December 1973.
Commenced production of premium quality decorative paint under the international name LUXOL in 1975 and TEXTCOTE-fire retardant in 1978.
Introduced PROCOL; an insect repellent paint formulated to eradicate domestic insects such as mosquitoes and cockroaches.
Ownership structure started tilting towards Nigerian Shareholders who controlled between 60% and 63% & gradually took the destiny of the company in their hands.
Factories in Lagos & Port Harcourt attained a joint production capacity of 25 million liters per annum and employed over 500 Nigerians.
In 1987, William Holdings (United Kingdom) acquired and sold the decorative group to the UB group and the new owner still retained the name Lewis Berger (Overseas Holdings) Limited, United Kingdom as the owners of Berger Paints Nigeria Limited.
In 1989, Berger Paints Limited, being a public quoted company through the process of the Nigeria Stock Exchange, traded the Limited for PLC and officially became Berger Paints Nigeria Plc (BPNPlc).
In 1997 CAB (Overseas Holdings) Limited, United Kingdon, bought half of the offshore shares and the other half was taken over a management buy-out (MBO) Scheme.
In 1998, PZ Plc of Manchester (UK), divested and its shares were taken over through another MBO scheme. It is however on record that Berger Paints has had the most successful MBO scheme to date. It is equally noteworthy to mention the MBO had no technical fee, as the corporate name of BERGER and all the international brand names became free, giving Berger Paints Nigeria Plc the right to manufacture and market all the overseas Berger Brands in Nigeria.
Nigerian citizens and associations shareholdings increased to 78% while management staff had about 10%.
Company shares grew from 9,000 shareholders in 1989 to 38,000+ shareholders from an authorized share capital of N36.6 Million to N160 Million.
Commenced production of Industrial Coatings.
Commenced production of Marine & Protecton Coatings.
Commenced production of AUTOLUX, BERGERNOL & LIGNOLAC.
Introduced new packaging designs & special tamperproof seals.
Overhauled color scheme to offer a wide range of brilliant and refreshing colors.
Achieved 100% indigenous ownership.
Commenced opening of Berger Colour World, bringing the company closer to the customers.
Commencement development of the Automated Water Based Plant, the new fully automated factory is expected to activate the industrialization era of the paint sector in Nigeria.